What is an ETA?

An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) provides authorization to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport. It is for short term stays for either tourism or business purposes. The ETA is an instant online visa application linked to your passport. If you are visiting Australia for less than 3 months, you must obtain a travel visa before traveling.

What do I need to fill out an application?

To complete an application for an ETA you will need your valid passport, email address, and a credit card.

How do I apply for an ETA online?

To apply for an ETA online, you may visit authorized ETA websites to apply. You must be outside of Australia and intending to visit for tourism or business purposes. If you wish to undertake paid employment or extended study in Australia, you are not eligible for an ETA and must apply for a different visa. Please visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection website to research more suitable visa’s.

Which country passport do I need to hold to qualify for an ETA?

To apply for an ETA online you must hold a passport from one of the following countries or region: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Republic of San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom – British Citizen, Vatican City, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, Rep of (South), United States

How can I apply if I do not hold a passport from any of the countries or regions that ETA requires?

If you do not hold a passport from any of the above countries or region, you cannot apply for an ETA online. You may be eligible to apply for an ETA through a travel agent, airline, or an Australian Visa Office. Alternatively, you may be eligible to apply for other types of electronic visitor visas.

Does my ETA expire?

• You may visit Australia within 12 months from the day you receive your authorized ETA.
• If your passport expiry date is within 12 months of validity, you may enter Australia until your passport expiry date.
• Maximum length of stay during each visit is three months.
• While your ETA is available, you are approved for multiple visits provided that contiguous stay is longer than 3 months.

What do I do if I have to stay longer than 3 months in Australia?

You will need to apply for a visa which allows for a longer stay in Australia. Please visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection website to research more suitable visa’s.

What do I do if I do not satisfy the requirements for applying online?

If you do not satisfy the requirements for applying ETA online, please apply through travel agent, airline or an Australian embassy. If you are not available for an ETA Visa, you may still be permitted to enter Australia. You will need to contact the nearest Australian Embassy to process further application(s) for entry.

Why do I need to indicate if I have had another name?

When traveling to Australia we need to ensure that you have a valid visa.

If you have used a different name on your ETA application to that on your passport, knowing that you have an alias or another spelling of your name will help immigration officials check that you do have a valid visa.

What conditions apply to my ETA?

• visit to Australia must be limited to tourism or business visitor activities
• valid for multiple visits within 12 months from date of issue
• maximum length of each visit is three months
• condition 8115 – Work is not allowed. You can undertake business visitor activities (making business enquiries, contractual negotiations and attending conferences). The following website provides further information on visas to work in Australia .
• condition 8201 – you must not study for more than three months
• condition 8527 – you must be free from tuberculosis
• condition 8528 – you must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not the sentence/s were served.

Important: You might not be permitted to enter Australia unless you are in good health and have no significant criminal convictions. You should note that you must depart Australia before your authorized stay period expires. If you do not, you can be detained and/or removed from Australia. Overstaying might also affect your ability to be granted another Australian visa, including an ETA, in the future. If circumstances arise while you are in Australia that require you to stay longer than the three months permitted by your ETA, you must obtain another visa before the end of the three month stay period.

Do age restrictions apply?

No age restriction apply. Eligible passport holders of all ages can apply for an ETA.

What can I do if I am not eligible to apply through this site?

If you are not able to apply for an ETA online using this website, you might be eligible to apply for other types of online visitor visas or directly with an Australian consulate.